The First Presbyterian Society (FPS) was incorporated in the Village of Cleveland, in the County of Cuyahoga, in the year 1827, by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio. There were 28 gentlemen who, along with their associates, constituted the Society at that time.
The 189th Annual Meeting of the First Presbyterian Society in Cleveland was held on April 4, 2016. An annual meeting of the Society has been held on the first Monday in April each year since 1827.
The Board of Directors serves as the governing body of the FPS. The eleven Directors, who are elected from the FPS membership, meet once a month.
FPS was formed to manage the finances and real estate of the church. Several of the Society’s original purposes were to promote religion, and to hire and support a preacher, Those responsibilities now reside with various committees of Session and to an independently formed Pastor Nominating Committee.
In recent times, the First Presbyterian Society has focused on the following programs:
- Developing a continuing building maintenance program
- Managing arrangements for the use of the church’s facilities
- Overseeing our endowments and financial assets
- Working with Session in preparing budgets
- Promoting a deferred/planned giving program
- Researching an attractive long-term answer to our parking needs
The Capital Assets Millennium (CAM) Committee is charged with the preservation and improvement of the physical assets which include our two properties; the Sanctuary and the Old Stone Center. Some of the recent projects included:
- Completing the restoration and cleaning of the La Farge and Tiffany stained glass windows
- Enhancing the lighting, sound, recording and projection capabilities in the Sanctuary
- Installing a new roof on the Old Stone Center
- Remodeling the Reception Area and Associate Pastor’s Office
- Remodeling the Library
- Tuck pointing the exterior of the church
- Refurbishing the exterior doors, signage and wrought iron trim
- Landscaping the garden area on the Ontario side of the building
- Installing a new digital carillon system in the bell tower
Through God’s blessing, the First Presbyterian Society will continue to support the Old Stone Church through diligent oversight of its real and fiscal property needs.
The current President of the First Presbyterian Society’s Board of Directors is Donald Guenther.